Core Skills Through Kayaking
Read about our kayaking adventure and get inspired.
The project “Core skills through kayaking” sprang from the need of four partner organisations: Ingens Risus, Aeroclubul Turbulencia,Klub vzdelania and Ifjusagi Nomad Klub to promote kayaking program activities through which young people can develop the 8 key competences. The topic addressed through the present project was to promote education in and through sport with special focus on skills development, namely to create hands on experience for organisations and their staff to implement a kayaking activity program that develops the 8 key competences among young people and adults.
Goals and objectives
The main goal of the project was to increase the level of popularity of kayaking as a sport that develops key competences useful intoday’s society in the three regions of our 4 partners and raise the level of preparation of expertise of the sport organisations and clubs in implementing kayak activities in their work with young people and adults until the end of the project.
The specific objectives set and reached by the end of the project are the following:
Increase the number of resources that contains structured information on kayak theoretical procedures and how to use it as a sport in order to develop 8 key competences among young people and adults. This objective was reached by creating the guide “Core Skills Through Kayaking” that contains practical information useful for organisations and their staff willing to implement kayak expeditions todevelop key competences. The guide is free and accessible to coaches and organisations’ staff, as well as to anyone who is interested in the project or kayaking.
Developing common approaches for the four partners on when, to whom and how to promote kayaking activities as educational methods to develop competences suitable for everyone. In order to achieve this objective it was organised a kayak expedition on Danube – the common river of the three partner countries – in order to collect practical information for creating the guide – “Core skillst hrough kayaking”. The expedition started on 23rd July, at the km 1868, in Bratislava (Slovakia) and ended on 17th August 2019 at Sulina, at the Danube discharge in the Black Sea (Romania).
Increase the number of synergies with local institutions (schools, universities, sport organisations/clubs and media representatives) in order to promote kayaking as an educational non-formal method to develop the 8 key competences and to set up the basis for future collaborations. The third objective was reached by unfolding a series of dissemination activities to share the results of the project, such as the guide and the promotional video.
Aeroclubul Turbulencia is a sport club founded in Miercurea Ciuc, Romania created by outdoor and nature enthusiasts. The members of the club havelarge experience in outdoor activities, from kayaking, mountain hiking, paragliding and rafting. The club has 45 active members, 1 kayak examination instructors and 2 kayaking assistant instructors. The club organizes sailing and orienteering courses in Harghita region.
Ifjúsági Nomád Klub
Is a nonprofit organization which has been established byfresh graduates formerly active in Erasmus Student Network (esn.org) during their university years. The aim of the organisation is to promote global citizenship, traveling and active lifestyle via various intercultural and outdoor sport events. Its Members have professional work experience and expertise to coordinate and successfully implement a project in international youth field. The key staff involved in this project has wide experience in youth mobility and non-formal education since they have actively participated in more than ten former Youth in Action and Erasmus+ programs.
Klub vzdelania is an organisation established in Nitra, Slovakia that supports education (formal and non-formal) of young people through sport activities.The organisation is trying to educate people on various topics, especially culture, sports, environmental protection, social communication, entrepreneurtopics and European values. KV is also promoting an active and healthy lifestyle by including young people in international projects to enrich their life perspective and opportunities and integrating them as much as possible.
1st Transnational project meeting
It took place between 17th-20th February 2019, Romania, Bucharest. This meeting was the first Transnational project meeting (Tpm). Its role was to build the team and the working crews, as well as to set up the framework of the working process for the following 6 months.
Being the very beginning of the project it was necessary for the good development of the project to address this Transnational meeting in order to make the team members get to know each other; set up the working procedures and standardized means for reporting; as well as to assess risk and risk prevention procedures.
During this meeting we established the division of the tasks and grant among partners and the means of allocating it; and we planned a communication plan.
2nd Transnational project meeting
It took place between 20th-23rd July 2019, Gárdony, Hungary. The second TPM aimed to support the coordination of the joint expedition and reunited the project managers together with the expedition crewt o discuss the final details of data collection and documentation of the joint expedition.
The second meeting was especially directed to the preparation of the joint expedition in the three countries. We paid special focus on the safety and protection of the kayak expedition crew. Apart from the final preparation and fine tune-ups of the expedition during this TPM we brainstormed ideas regarding the design of the guide; we established the main content of the guide and set up the guiding principles and framework for the guide and delegated responsibilities.
3rd Transnational project meeting
It took place between 26th-29th June 2020, Slovakia, Diakovce. Once the draft of the guide was ready we performed the third transnational meeting in order to discuss the final aspects regarding its content and design and of the promotional video.
During this meeting were discussed the final versions of the guide and of the promotional video, the most important results of the project. Was established the dissemination plan in order to promote and ensure the continuity and sustainability of the project.
4th Transnational project meeting
It took place between 25th-28th September 2020, Romania, Bucharest. During this meeting were evaluated qualitatively and quantitatively the impact of the web-page, promotional video and the guide. Were evaluated the dissemination activities and their impact. It was also discussed the plan for follow-up activities and future projects about kayaking in the framework of Erasmus+ Sport.
At the same time was analysed the impact of Covid-19 in relation to our project continuity and sustainability of the project in the context of the Covid19 pandemic.
The merged activities A1-A3, the joint kayakexpedition on Danube river, that covered thesegment of each country in order to collectphoto-video material as well as practicalknowledge specific for each of the 3countries. Through the activities activities A4-A5 was developed by means of digital workthe guide “Core Skills Through Kayaking”.
The expedition started on 23rd July inBratislava, at the 1868 km milestone inBratislava, Slovakia. It took 26 days to paddle to reach Sulina,Romania where Danube discharge into theBlack Sea. It was by far the most extensiveendeavour performed by the project teamand brought the most satisfaction.
Core Skills Through Kayaking Guide
Through the activity A5 – Creation of the guide all partners got actively involved in providing the exact structure and content. The work was performed remotely by using digital communication and tools. The guide includes structured information on the project, necessary steps to follow when organising a kayak expedition, how it can develop the 8 key competences, as well as it is focused on the practical experience of the kayak expedition crew on paddling
Non-formal kayaking activities
During the spring and summer of 2020 we organised three expeditions of small groups on Mures River. We managed to paddle the river from Deda,where the kayaks can flow freely to Nădlac, where the river exits Romania.Participants experienced for the first time how is it to paddle for days in arow, to sleep in a tent and to identify solutions to any challenge it arises on the spot.
At the beginning of June 2020 we organised a 2 days kayaking expedition on the lakes of Bucharest. They are closely united through dams. The starting point was at Crevedia in the North part of the city and the end point was inthe south part of the capital, at Cernica Lake. One of the biggest challenges identified by the participants during this expedition was to take out the kayaks quite often due to the dams.
At the beginning of summer 2020 we organised an expedition at the Danube Delta, specifically on Chilia branch. Throughout the three days expedition, participants learned about the local culture, got in contact with the local community and experienced the beauty of natural surroundings of Danube Delta.
During the summer of 2020 we organised a short expedition on Arges River, exploring the cultural heritage of the Romanian traditional village in Fierbinti. It is a well-known village in Romania due to a popular TV series that is filmed here. During the expedition, we also visited Delta of the Arges River.
The project produced impact on the partner organisations, the staff members involved and target groups constituted of sport instructors, kayakers, youth workers and young people aged 14-25 years old.
- 4 sport members of the partner org. (1/org) improved capacities to conduct a long kayak expedition on Danube;
- 12 staff members of the project management team increased capacities to organise and manage a SSCP type of project;
- 3 new collaborations were built upon this project on the topic of kayak and sports as leisure activities;
- each partner established collaborations with 2 educational institutions interested to promote kayak expeditions to their pupils and students;
- all 4 partners share a database of 190 young people interested to participate in a medium to long kayak expedition on Danube to develop the 8 key competences.
- increased capacities of the partner organisations to conduct along kayak expedition for their target groups to develop the 8 key competences;
- developed common approaches of the four partner organizations to promote kayaking activities as an educational method to develop the 8 key competences among target groups.
- 800 persons from the target group received the information package, including video, guide and webpage;
- the usefulness of the guide was evaluated by 276 out of 321 respondents as excellent and very good;
- other 6 organisations within our network engaged to use in thefuture the guide to organise kayak expeditions on Danube to develop 8 key competences.;
- 35 persons participated in DEOR events – short to medium kayak expeditions replicating the Kayak expedition on Danube;
- raised awareness of the target groups to engage in medium to long kayak expedition to develop the 8 key competences;.
- increased openness towards engaging in long kayak expeditions;
- target groups of the partner organisations are more aware now of how they can engage in kayak activities, especially on Danube;
- people interested in kayaking have the possibility to get informed about the upcoming kayak activities of the partners.;
Project was closely connected to the European policies in the field of sport, as following:
1. Small Collaborative Partnerships aims:
– encouraged the participation in kayak activities as method to develop competences of everyone who has a good health condition, contributing to social inclusion and equal opportunities in sport;
– contributed to the mobility of the staff organisations to exchange good practices and create a structured guide in order to promote kayaking as a learning method in the three partner countries;
– promoted education in and through sport with special focus on the 8 key competences by involving practitioners, volunteers and managers in drafting the methodology, structure, content and materials for the guide “Core skills through kayaking”.
2. EU Work Plan for Sport 2017-2020:
– ensured through cross-sectoral cooperation, the awareness of other EU policy domains of the contribution that sport can make in meeting the policy challenges facing the EU, like the need of young people and adults to develop key competences in today’ssociety;
– addressed transnational challenges using a coordinated European approach, all the four organisations facing the same problem and having a common opportunity by promoting kayak on Danube as a non-formal method to develop the 8 key competences;
– promoted a cooperative and concerted approach among Member States and other relevant stakeholders, to provide added value in the field of sport at EU level over the longer term by creating the guide “Core skills through kayaking” from which other organisations and sport clubs will benefit freely;
– promoted the relationship between education and sport, using kayaking as an educational method to develop the 8 key competences.
3. COMMUNICATION FROM THE COMMISSION TO THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT, THE COUNCIL, THE EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL COMMITTEE AND THE COMMITTE EOF THE REGIONS:
1.2. The EU’s added value in the field of sport – encouraged the collaboration and synergy between sport professionals, organisations from EU, youth workers, educational institutions; as well as promoted sport as an important factor in developing teamwork, intercultural learning, fair play and responsibility;
2.2. Education, training and qualifications in sport – fostered the collaboration between sport organisation and educational institutions, each partner establishing 2 schools interested in promoting kayaking to their pupils;
2.4. Enhancing health through sport – promoted healthy lifestyles among young people and target groups through physical education and physical activity.
If you are interested to engage in the upcoming kayak activities and expeditions organised by Ingens Risus, please show your interestby filling in an application form and you will be contacted by us.